Ginger, one of the healthiest spices on earth, one of a common ingredient used in India and Asian cuisine and a herb with powerful medical significance. Ginger is a plant with yellowish flower which originated in China. The spice which we consume is actually root of that plant.
Ginger is pungent and spicy in taste, adds zest and special flavor to Indian and Chinese cuisine. Consumption of Ginger decreases risks of Heart diseases, diabetes and Obesity, promotes hair health, complexion and weight loss.
Ginger can be consumed fresh or dried or in powered form.
Here are some of the noted benefits of Ginger:-
1) Aids Digestion: Ginger is very beneficial in aiding digestion and stomach related ailments like constipation and bloating. Ginger contains phenolic compound which helps reliving gastrointestinal issues and increases bile production.
2) Treats Nausea: Ginger tea is a great remedy for nausea. Ginger is safe for pregnant women and helps them in reliving morning sickness, vomiting and nausea. Ginger tea keeps you warm during winter.
3) Help fights Heart Disease: Ginger have anti-blood clotting ability like onion and garlic; consuming this three together keeps stroke and heart related diseases at bay.
4) Reduces Inflammation: Gingerol an anti-inflammatory substance found in Ginger helps in reducing pain and inflammation. This makes ginger highly beneficial for people with Osteoarthritis, aiding reduction in pain and stiffness.
5) Pain Reliever: Ginger has been used as a pain reliever since ages. Ginger powder taken during first 3 days of menstrual period reduces symptons of Dysmenorrhea (pain during menstrual cycle).
6) Lower Bad Cholesterol Level: Ginger helps in keeping your bad cholesterol LDL in control.
7) Helps Prevent Cancer: Gingerol found in ginger helps fights Cancer. Especially in Ovarian cancer it is seen, Ginger induced cell death in ovarian cancer cell lines.
8) Boost Immune System: According to Ayurveda ginger helps to boost immune system. Ginger not only keeps you warm in cold season but also promotes healthy sweating, resulting detoxification and other benefits.
9) Medical Benefits: Medically too Ginger has been very powerful herb. It one of the most famous cough and sore throat cure. Apart from cough and sore throat ginger is also beneficial in stuffy nose, toothache, flu, Headaches and Migraine.
But as everything has its pros and cons, so as with ginger too. Ginger use is not recommended for everybody. Here is when Ginger is adverse than being beneficial.
1) During Pregnancy: Though ginger tea treats Nausea and morning sickness for pregnant women, access of it can trigger premature labor due to the presence of powerful stimulants in ginger. It is advisable to completely avoid it in last 3-4 months of pregnancy.
2) During Weight Gain: If you want to gain some weight it is not good for your as ginger promotes body fat and consuming it can give feeling of fullness.
3) During Blood Disorders: Ginger though helps improves blood circulation but if your are suffering from blood disorders it is not advisable for you as ginger can raise the risk of bleeding.
4) Side Effects or Allergy: Ginger though helps in improving digestion but in some person it has been found that it they are allergic to ginger and causes heartburn and upsets stomach similarly as when you eat some spicy food. So stop consuming ginger if you are the one.
So as a thumb rule, be alert and keep watching for symptoms, as one which is beneficial for others may not be for you. Also access of anything whether natural or manufactured is always bound to cause problems.